I've been homeschooling my kids for 9 years now. Seeing all the back and forth about homeschooling on social media these past few days, here are some reflections based on experience.
1. Homeschooling is not for everyone. It is a very difficult and time-consuming task that requires a specific skill set and long-term commitment. Very few families have the luxury to homeschool. I am grateful to have this luxury.
2. Homeschooling is not a universal solution to the failing education system. When done right, homeschooling is 1000x better than public school, but it cannot solve everyone's problems. That requires developing new models of education and new systems.
3. Homeschooling works when the following conditions are met:
A. Parents are committed and all in.
B. Parents have the necessary skillset and time.
C. The parents and their children have a strong relationship.
4. Homeschooling can be disastrous in the following situations:
A. Parents have no teaching skills
B. It is done purely out of fear
C. There is no time commitment or long-term plan
D. When kids' emotional and social needs are neglected
5. The lack of socialization is a myth. That depends on parenting styles. Between extended family, sports, local youth programs, and hanging out with neighbors, most homeschooled kids have very active social lives.
6. A Benefit of homeschooling when done right include flexibility of curriculum allowing for important subjects like entrepreneurship, financial management, personal development and character development
7. Other benefits include children maturing faster, developing better character and manners, strong family ties, and entrepreneurial mindsets. Easier to nurture the love of learning and to focus on their strengths and interests.
8. Do not look ONLY at the exceptional stories (overachievers or horror stories) meet and spend time with average homeschooling families to see what it is really like.
If you benefited from this post and would like to learn more:
A) Sign up for my online How to Homeschool course here: https://courses.islamicselfhelp.com/p/homeschooling?coupon_code=SEPT21
B) Purchase my introductory ebook here: https://islamicselfhelp.gumroad.com/l/GWlSf