Amazing facts about the Suleymaniye Masjid:
1. This site was originally the palace of the Ottoman Sultans
2. After the Topkapi Palace was built for Sultan Suleyman The Magnificent, he had this site converted into a Masjid.
3. However, it was much more than just a Masjid. During the era of Ottoman success, this Masjis also served as a charitable foundation, or kulliye.
4. The mosque was surrounded by a hospital, soup kitchen, schools, caravanserai (resting place for travellers) and bath house.
5.This complex provided a welfare system which fed over 1,000 of the city’s poor, regardless of their religion.
6. To the south of the mosque is a madressa housing a library containing 110,000 manuscripts.
7. The Masjid is 464 years old and is a great testimony of the architecture, social consciousness, and grandeur of the Ottoman Empire under Sultan Suleyman The Magnificent.
Learn more with the History of Islam online course, which contains over 30 lessons, including 8 hours about the Ottoman Empire.
Sign up here to learn more: https://islamicselfhelp.gumroad.com/l/history1/ramadan